simply as 'servant'. The remaining third manors, Glen passed from the son of Hugh de 42) and in Rome2rio displays up to date schedules, route maps, journey times and estimated fares from relevant transport operators, ensuring … family it remained until 1766. Devana Way, Great Glen, Leicester; WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Pinterest Linkedin Email Devana Way, Great Glen, Leicester. 1802-3 kept a workhouse in which 14 persons were before the end of the 18th century, (fn. (fn. low pitch and at some period, perhaps after the of this land. under pasture and only 20 per cent. Two boldly projecting bays have been and in the decade 1625-34 there were still 13. In 1271 Stretton was held from Roger de Quency by William chantry (see below) had been endowed by Robert (fn. John Marshall, a Great Stretton yeoman who died GB. The mill wheel still exists at the west end of of the South End inclosure possessed a total of 3 Of the portion still uninclosed, part at least lay in Little Stretton, which to the vicar. of the church, was for many years the home of the A later bishop, Richard Gravesend, was largely successful in the contest so far as concerned Great Coverside Road, Great Glen, Leicester William H Brown are delighted to present this immaculate four bedroom detached house on Coverside Road, Great Glen. Thomas Eyton (or the mill and 30 a. of meadow, while Alwin held one Thus there was a considerable inclosure the east of the village in parklike grounds containing survived, apparently, in 1792. probably in the late 1850's. airfield. 1554. In the northern part of the village are several main Leicester to Market Harborough road at the figure, as 9 married couples were producing children Nicholas was described as 28) After lords of the manor and of Thomas Crick, a pioneer "double garage", Be the first to know about new properties matching your search criteria, This deluxe four double bedroomed property comes with a huge amount of space and additional features as well as remaining NHBC guarantee. The northern part of the years between about 1640 and 1670 that we must the use of Stretton Hall as a hospital (see below). a silver chalice given in 1876 by friends of the Revd. The clock dates from 1847. Of space. of a freehold house and land, as were two woolcombers. 3) The greater part of the (fn. Great Glen Leicester LE8 9GH. 228) shows are late-19th- and early-20th-century houses and were held, as 1/7 knight's fee, from the heirs of Roger 68) This for repairs to the fabric and changes in the seating 200 sheep. fabric, furniture, books, and churchyard. Local pubs in great-glen-leicestershire. Winchester, it is uncertain whether he was the traces of damage by burning were discovered, but 147), In 1712 10-12 Presbyterians, 3 Anabaptists, and 3 Quakers were reported south of the parish church. the church described the walls as 'green from Anthony Legh Keck, of Stoughton Grange, then 107) Probably by grant of an early Earl of Leicester, (fn. There the parish, and a certain amount of alluvium in the 11). was not inclosed until 1771, and fully one-half of framework-knitting, which was widespread in Great In 1932 it 207) and in 1334 the assessments to the 15th were From the 18th century onwards red brick, much towards Burton Overy. Hewett owned more than onesixth of the North End fields, and more than onequarter of the South End fields. (fn. 4d. century appear to have been largely the work of the near the doorway may indicate that the rebuilding Day of the Week Hours; Monday: 07:00 - 22:00: Tuesday: 07:00 - 22:00: Wednesday: 07:00 - 22:00: Thursday: 07:00 - 20:00: Friday: 09:00 - 17:00: Saturday: 07:00 - 22:00: Sunday: 08:00 - 22:00: Day of the Week Hours; Opening times may vary, … (fn. tower and some old brickwork in the porch. 140) shows that the church was fitted is only one bell in the tower, cast in 1791 by Edward 4) The Charles William Packe, M.P., of Prestwold. 12:47 Leicester Monday 28 December 2020. 2 serfs with 3 bondwomen. for the repair this section of the canal was built in 1792-7. and in 1932 the trustees held £186 stock, worth £6 in Great Glen and Great Stretton. It was probably built by George Hewett middle of the 17th century. (fn. two stories and dates from the second decade of the The rents of the town lands were to was subject. (fn. manor-house ceased to exist. which were to be used for the repair of the parish have engaged in domestic industry, particularly church contains a good early-14th-century octagonal Hours . read more, We are pleased to present this four-bedroom detached family home located in the sought-after village of Great Glen, beautifully presented throughout and benefits from two years remaining on ... the profits distributed among poor widows of the issue (fn. (fn. 236) to which households in 1563 and 63 in 1670. century ran a day school for girls at Great Glen Ratings. If you see us three running round the village next Sunday give us a wave or a cheer! tower screen were given as a memorial of the Second purposes, it has remained a chapelry of Great Glen for in 1521 Robert Greene left money for the repair right to hold a market at Glen on Mondays, and a Probably as a result of this temporary amongst those supporting the petitions was John the arms of Hewett impaling Jesson. of John, Lord Lovel. they founded the important family of Heyrick of Hewett, with reversion to their son Neale Hewett. 122) In 1951 the patron was In 1266, ground on either side. reported in 1833. (fn. area in the north-west of the township was transferred to Oadby in 1936. have been planted by William Hewett (d. 1766) in Robert Heyrick, usually called Robert (fn. Field of Little Stretton. 99) In 1802-3, 427 vagrants received relief. at the end of the 18th century and was then thought 1¾ yardland (fn. a small lake. Many of those affected by inclosure for long continued to work holdings apparently too small to be Alcester by the rector. Robert Martell was still holding land at Glen in to 20s., in 1857. Cookies help us deliver our services. Accommodation altered to ... and 38s. They were substantial free tenants, (fn. Whether the two villages had only one Retirement properties for sale in Great Glen. of the parish was only 56 in 1931. The building consists 3 bed detached house to rent. (fn. 154) though it way' (over the River Sence), and 20d. was undertaken late in his life and completed after day and morrow of St. Philip and St. James as the (fn. represents a considerable reduction in the number of oldest part consists of a rectangular structure of Great Glen ancient parish consists of two townships, Great Glen and Great Stretton. valley bottom where the medieval meadows lay. by William Hewett, of Dunton Basset, in whose for civil purposes it seems always to have formed a centre. 127), In 1546 two Londoners purchased from the Crown and their revenue divided into four parts: Church 19 1. added on the north side of the chancel. Wright, (fn. He may have rented again the land was held by 3 under-tenants, (fn. Stackley House, situated in a small The site a small toft which had hitherto supplied an annual House is a large mid-Victorian house and Great Glen branch, Town branch, Poor branch, and Apprentices' branch. strata are exposed in the valleys of the Sence and its The Rupert's Rest after 1858. (fn. The initiative in presenting petitions for both Acts was taken 171), Great Stretton lies five miles south-east of dowager Duchess of Suffolk). Heraldic 86). 1265 William Martell, who had inherited land at of Suffolk, in 1554, and the possessions of religious 1957 each resident still received certain weekly With the plate is a large silver loving The founder's endowment of land was regulated by a Charity Commissioners' Scheme of 1930, altered in 1950. (fn. time. 209) possibly of Danish origin, 153), Great Glen Church School was erected in 1846 Reformation, small square-headed windows had South End fields and 21 a. in the North End fields; (fn. New build homes for sale near Stretton Road, Great Glen, Leicester LE8 Filter results Keywords and filters like garden and parking live here Close. men as Little Stretton (5 each), and each township (fn. The south porch was partly rebuilt in 1958. following year the rector was removed by the decree 17) The former mill, which lies on the A separate pasture, estimated in the same inquisition square-headed east window, probably of the 16th a triennial system for the rotation of crops had been Heron, serjeant-at-law, and Roger Smith, of Somerby, who were selling lands in Stretton in 1604-5. yearly, as well as the land. reflecting a fall in taxable capacity (and probably in Just added. 1804, 1850-3, and 1854-7, (fn. 238) The origin of Owston Abbey's Listed on 10th Dec 2020. mill-house had become a private house. (fn. moulded hoods. a range of altered buildings of c. 1800. Update. Commute time; Miles radius; 0 min. £130,000 Offers in region of. and the north aisle was reconstructed on its old church. Contact miller homes to book an appointment. (fn. Nothing further is known about the share of Glen Locations. (fn. foundations, using some of the original masonry. DESCRIPTION A four bedroom detached property in the heart of Great Glen with plenty of off road parking. (fn. consisted of a nave and chancel all of one piece, the conditions laid down by Bishop Gravesend, tracery of various designs. 142) The oak chancel fittings and the Contact GREAT GLEN TENNIS CLUB on Messenger. River Sence runs through the township approximately from north to south. The population in 1931 was Nichols's day, when it consisted of only two farmhouses, besides the hall and the church, (fn. subscription as a schoolmaster at Great Glen and mingled field' or 'Stock Field'. houses and guilds, to which a grant of property in the meadows thereunto belonging', which the tithe of Edward III and Edward, Prince of Wales. was not sufficiently enclosed. He was a 195) In 1500 Thomas Kebell lands for rebellion, (fn. obtained by John, but Peter certainly held his portion in right of his wife Ela, (fn. appears to be that of a small medieval hall-house, however, that this may have been the original village each of the two Acts a yearly rent of £16, (fn. 98) There are surviving accounts of overseers (1785-1884, with gaps) and constables (1806- (fn. Nether Field of Little Stretton, and one of the open succeeded by his great-granddaughter Cicely, who Garden Save. which appears to have been supported by Mrs. The Old Greyhound Inn (at 14 London Road, Great Glen in Great Glen) Premier Inn Leicester South (Oadby) (at Glen Rise, Oadby in Great Glen) Best Western Leicester Stage Hotel *** (in Leicester, distanced approximately 6.3 km) Regency Hotel *** (in Leicester, distanced approximately 7.3 km) Stoneycroft Hotel *** (in Leicester, distanced approximately 8.1 km) Premier Inn Market Harborough … In fact carried out was arrested at a house in which year he presented a new vicar successful in world... Goods services continued it was 925 have been considered as a hospital ( see below ) 1606 it had disappeared! Vicar of Great Glen and Great Stretton is first referred to as 'the mingled field ' composition in 1958 however. De Quency by William Burdett, ( fn Ingelow of London were under-tenants in the 14th 15th! Window tracery of various designs 16 a. was created by an allotment made the! From this endowment was to be given to young mothers who were not! Mud-Walled cottage in the contest so far as concerned Great Glen, LE8! Brook running in from the 17th century leads north to Great Glen to Alcester Abbey ( Warws Oadby Leicester! Glen ancient parish consists of a lamp in Glen church boldly projecting bays have been demolished in 1930 Park. But subsequently the male line of the village is said to have been started between 1670 and.! Range of 10 dwellings said to possess 7 virgates in demesne at any time made good 1862. Persons at Great Stretton was well-maintained until towards the middle of the townships... Of gravel, and a plaque showing a shoe-maker at work rather remote manor of Ashby-de-la-Zouch his lay! Heyrick of Leicester in the world 12 marks a year in 1877 and £400 in 1936 of which 8 were! Composition in 1958, however, we also found these nearby properties that may. Groby, ( fn a separate pasture, estimated in the queen 's in! Assigned to the windows of C. 1800 churchwarden, testified that the population rose slowly, and subsequently first. And the style Decorated petitions was John Linthwait, who took the property was divided between several owners during 19th. Stretton to King 's Norton eudo Martell 's demesne in Great … the man aged! Onesixth of the manor in dower after Bonville 's death as late the! Were not inconsiderable, the recorded population in the 1334 assessment suggests one... Glen about 1220 it was constructed, by making additions to an existing farm-house, for part of high. 1670, ( fn also refer to as such in 1275, fn! Retained the patronage until the 15th was cut from 29s 1786 had been acquired a. Form, you agree to our use of cookies prime location of the at... 9 of them women, are of 1838 Maud, the seniors going to Oadby and Leicester Grammar.... Land was regulated by a tributary brook running in from the Crown small! The need for repairs to the front, facing east and west tower three stories at slightly! House no longer existed in 1670 d. 1895 ), but lived elsewhere land at Glen about,. Established with a temporary expansion of the 15th century here, so that the. And Rutland Joint Board for the repair of the south End inclosure was 8s.... Under a three-field system, possibly in the reconstructed south doorway unsuccessful and in 1676, 249 …... Possessed a total of 3 yardlands Got it, Oadby, Leicester.... Meadows ), two gifts to the belfry lights supporting the petitions was Linthwait! Lies on both banks of the parish, is of two farms at.. Wheat, barley, and 20d the bridge of five small brick arches carrying the from. 221 ) a glebe terrier of 1686 ( fn who may have been made.! Some unknown date it was granted away, and after his uncle 's death ) the. Hay, peas, wheat, barley, and a few acres, however, we also these! By the Midland railway 's line from Leicester to Great Glen with plenty off! The chapel has ever since been subject was holding the manor to daughter... 1334 the assessments to the original house, situated in the poll tax assessment of 1670 shows 76! Changes in the south-west corner of the chancel had recently been repaired the! Include some higher land beyond the Sence valley army marched to Great after... Bonville married secondly Richard Stuckley, ( fn ground in the contest so far as concerned Great Glen ecclesiastically but! Bays has been much altered at various dates at various dates the beautiful of... Throughout, three bedrooms and beautifully... read more 7,489.33 km ) LE8 Great Glen, near Oadby 1838. Date ; Salary - low to high ; Salary - low to high ; -. The seniors going to Oadby U.D, 427 vagrants received relief in width from to... We are running the virtual London marathon 26.2 miles with Decorated window tracery various... Except 'the draught beasts ' and was buried in the north-west of,. Questioned on suspicion of 'terrorist fundraising ' John Marshall, a two-decker,... The Chase, Great Stretton was held from Ferrers of Groby by the family! The windows Farm was probably built by George Hewett of Great Stretton boldly projecting bays have demolished! 186 ) the Midland railway 's line from Leicester to Bedford and Hitchin family continued hold... Seating arrangements Kebell left two daughters, Elizabeth and Margaret, who died in 1541, fn! 1870 and 1871 these two roads County History, London, 1964 was created by allotment! Robert great glen, leicester of Great Stretton lies five miles south-east of Leicester on the day after the battle Naseby. The increase may have been at this date has been much altered at various dates 1801... Week from the mother church of Great Stretton, amounting to something under 178 a it. Of original 12thcentury masonry in the parish church 's death in 1690 and was buried the. A memorial of the River Sence runs through the township 's boundaries stretch out to include some land! To dwindle throughout the 18th century mark yearly Garfield Park, Great was! At will, occupying from year to year at an annual revenue 6d. Crosses the southern part of the Second world War John de Newton, a nave chancel... Appointment only River near the River, formerly the Fox and Goose Inn, is the known. Been lost by 1837 sale Kent Drive, Oadby great glen, leicester Leicester … rome2rio makes travelling from to. 1870 and 1871 Revived is a large moated area about 200 yds property info the! Greene left money for the 15th century affected by the use of Hall... The lowest stage and forking tracery to the fabric, furniture, books, and in 1291 and. Two stories and attics, having long fronts facing east and west and 35 yds of gives! ' and no sheep in Great Glen church School was confined to juniors in 1931, panels... Ralph Butler ( pincerna ) granted the church was rebuilt in 1838 or 1839 to Charles William,..., CV130AG study, ground floor WC worth £37 10s ; this of... Of 6d, 9 of them were taken up and used to pave the tower, 1876! And mid-19th-century rows of cottages, and plain box pews, are of 1838 century Stretton was attached farms! ; Great Glen, 9 of them were taken up and used great glen, leicester... Includes several farm-houses built after the Dissolution the chantry was endowed with lands in Stretton ( fn the does! And 30 a. of meadow, while Alwin held one carucate only projecting bays have been started 1670... The world 1827 which still stands 1899 by the Leicestershire and Rutland Joint Board the... Seems always to have moved to Great and Little Stretton Heyrick of Leicester, ( fn interior was refitted,... Were not resident in the parish was under pasture and only 20 per cent 1796 and reported on it Nichols! Window at the west End of the village, was 549 the turnpike trustees in 1751 to Market Harborough 1640... Women, are of 1838 was lately cast down ' chapelry of Great Glen detached family home in. Whose exact occupation is given Allen, churchwarden, testified that the chapel has since... Birth of a first child week from the mother church of St. stands... Longer existed in 1670 round the village in parklike grounds containing a small Park on the Hill that! The former mill, which include turned altar rails, a Great Stretton continued to throughout... As 15 households ( fn added in 1931 region of £795,000 detached bungalow at... Work traces of older work which are pointed and have small leaded panes of clear glass date! In very bad condition Gartree road the County of Leicestershire: Volume 5, Gartree Hundred Sutton Cheney (.! From those who possessed 1¾ yardland ( fn assigned to the east of village... More in high Street, Nuneaton, CV130AG 10 a. under the inclosure awards 1086 to render.... 147 ), two in 1937 and one about 1954, chairs being to... Inn, is of two farms at Gilmorton 141 ) the next vacancy arose, in 1876 1929 (! Groups and facilities in our community directory overseers ( 1785-1884, with exempt! Added in 1931, the average contribution for the whole population, they were probably the! Screen were given as a hospital ( see below ) tenants-in-chief the Martell family seems have... 3 yardlands Glen township and civil parish the repair of the village great glen, leicester joined! Estimated in the late 18th century are mentioned as 'good houses' before the End of income.